The Biggest IAAPA In 17 Years
An estimated 30,500 amusement park and attractions industry professionals from 116 nations crowded the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando, Fla., for IAAPA Attractions Expo 2014 Nov. 17-21, making it the largest in more than 17 years and third largest in Expo history.
The show caps off back-to-back years of record-breaking growth for all three of IAAPA’s Expos. More than 50,250 people, including 32,600 buyers, participated in IAAPA’s expos around the world: Asian Attractions Expo, Euro Attractions Show, and IAAPA Attractions Expo.
The who’s who of the worldwide attractions industry gathered at IAAPA Attractions Expo to discuss future guest experiences. More than 19,400 buyers, including attractions industry owners, presidents, general managers, directors, and managers connected with leading innovators and creative masterminds throughout the week to announce new products, test the latest technologies, discuss trends and hot topics, learn from experts, and try new food and beverage options. IAAPA Attractions Expo is the largest conference and trade show for the $39.5 billion global attractions industry and serves as the one-stop-shop for the industry.
The event is owned and produced by the International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions (IAAPA). The five-day Expo pumped an estimated $51.3 million into the Orlando-area economy.
IAAPA Attractions Expo 2014 by the Numbers
· 1,004 companies displayed innovative new products and services on 551,975 net square feet of trade show floor space. The indoor exhibit space was completely sold out in September and the outdoor space was the largest in the event’s history.
· 19,400 total qualified buyers including executives from amusement parks, water parks, family entertainment centers (FECs), zoos, aquariums, museums, science centers, resorts, and roadside attractions from around the world participated.
· 12,500 people participated in 110 education programs which included multiple-day institutes, behind-the-scenes tours, constituency lunches, panel and roundtable discussions, and half-day symposiums. The education figure also includes:
o 780 attractions industry professionals attended the GM and Owners’ Breakfast featuring keynote speaker Jim Pattison Jr., president, Ripley Entertainment.
o Approximately 450 industry leaders who enjoyed a lunch-and-learn presentation by Fun Spot America President John Arie.
· 2,000 people attended the Kickoff Event, the week’s official opening session, for an update on the state of the industry; to see the exciting new attractions introduced around the world in 2014; and to preview new developments for 2015.
· 1,150 participants met, socialized, and shared ideas at the Opening Reception.
· Approximately 4,000 people enjoyed IAAPA Connects at New Fantasyland at Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom Park and IAAPA Celebrates at Universal Orlando Resort.
· Exhibitors held a record 33 press conferences to reveal new rides, attractions, technologies, and innovations during Expo.
· Expo participants raised approximately $120,000 for Give Kids The World, the Kissimmee, Fla., resort for children with life-threatening illnesses with a golf tournament, motorcycle ride, fun run and walk, a chance-to-win drawing, and individual and corporate donations.
· IAAPA appreciates the generous support of 72 sponsoring companies who helped make IAAPA Attractions Expo 2014 possible.
· The following prestigious industry awards were presented at IAAPA Attractions Expo 2014.
o IAAPA Hall of Fame Awards (worldwide industry leaders)
o IAAPA Service Awards (service to IAAPA and the industry)
o IAAPA Brass Ring Awards (marketing, retail, live entertainment, human resources, food and beverage, top family entertainment centers, new products, best exhibits)
“The continued growth of all three of IAAPA’s Expos is representative of the strength of the attractions business worldwide,” said IAAPA President and CEO Paul Noland. “The record number of press announcements this week is an example of the industry’s commitment to innovation.”
IAAPA Attractions Expo 2015
IAAPA Attractions Expo 2015 will take place at the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando, Nov. 16-20. More than 195 companies have already reserved booth space on the trade show floor. Information about exhibiting or attending will be available at www.IAAPA.org/IAAPAAttractionsExpo.